Thursday, January 29, 2009

Virgin Narrows "The Easy Way"??

I've back packed through the narrows about three times and
every time I was wondering if the next year would bring enough snow runoff to make this canyon a kayaking feasability. Well finally we had a marginal snow season, just enough to make it possible, kind of.

At first we did some free camping outside the park until we could secure a camp in the park. We camped along the river just downstream of the park.






The first day we did a warm up run just down stream from the mouth of the narrows. Here is the famous Cornville Jeff doing his thing in retro-style.

The next morning we got an early start and hit the trail head for the hike in. Jeff decided to not go on account of his bum shoulder.








I didn't bother taking pictures up to this point because there was hardly any water for the first half of the boat grind.
This is a picture of me patching up the boat. I literally rolled over a wide rounded sandstone cobble and I heard a weird sandy grinding sound. Next thing you know my boat was filling with water. Not even half way and through and we're stopping to make repairs. This picture was taken right above the water fall.


There was hardly any water flowing over the fall and the boat patching had me in a funk so we just by-passed the water fall. It prooved to be more difficult than I thougth it would be to go through the water fall by-pass, due to the snow banks.












Finally Deep Creek joined with the Virgin and we had boatable water. I highly recommend boating the Narrows if you have enough water.




I don't have much to say about the rest of the pictures, just have a look.















We finally came out into the park where we were
greeted by a bunch of onlookers with cameras.
I felt almost famous for a couple of minutes. We finished by loading our boats onto the bus and riding back to our camping spot.
Sorry for the lack of artistic expression with the formatting of this post.








1 comment:

Chris and Cindy said...

Those are some amazing pictures.