Thursday, November 15, 2018

More sailboat build pictures




I found some pictures from the sail boat build. You can see all the water tight compartments in the making. The dagger board casing is in it's infancy as well. I used polyester resin for most all the fillets (the dark stuff in all the corners), then fiber glassed over the fillets.




 Obviously some progression here. Dagger board case is secured. The mast tube is in place as well. I had to make both the Dagger Board Case and Mast Step out of fiber glass. The water tight compartments have the hatch holes sawed. You can also see the sheer board being bent into place. And I'm in the background eating a well earned lunch.



 It's coming together. The bottom side was painted a couple days before. The active amines in the newly laid epoxy slow down the oil paint curing process. So the bottom was still very soft and would remain soft for weeks. In this image I had just painted the inside. The inside paint dried quickly. Once I realized that the bottom side was reacting to the epoxy amines, I coated the inside with a poly-urethane varnish, then painted the aqua colored oil paint over that; problem solved. Oil paint on epoxy = slow cure. Oil paint over poly-urethane, over epoxy = fast cure. Learn something new all the time. If you have the time to literally watch paint dry, it might be best to just let the paint cure slowly over the epoxy or use a poly-urethane primer. I'll probably try that next time.

No comments: