Monday, December 17, 2018

Two Types of People: Grand Canyon 2018


There are two types of people. Those who have not floated the Grand Canyon and those who are planning their next trip down the Grand Canyon. 
I was able to get in on a trip down the Grand with a friend. We were on the river by Nov. 30. I was only able to attend for 1/3 the trip and hike out at Phantom, but I'll take what I can get. 

Here is our load of beer and baggage. This year we decided to use PRO to outfit us. So we just shopped for some snacks and drinks. I'll probably never outfit my own trip again. My experience with PRO was great.



Put in was smooth. A little sprinkle the night before but not too cold. 



We had 11 people and 5 oar rigs on this trip; 18 foot Sotars, my favorite. Our boat had three people fighting for some oar time. Oaring is great to keep warm.


We were able to get a hike in as well. Topped out about 2000 ft above the river. It felt good and was kind of a warm up for my hike out at Phantom, but I was having too much fun on the river to think about that. If you ever get a chance a quick hike up to the Tabernacle do so. The trail head is at Rattlesnake Camp, Mile 74.6.



I have some other picture and video on my camera, but didn't have time to dump the images yet. Here is the final fire (for me) at Cremation Camp. Tomorrow I hike out. 


It was a great trip and good to see an old friend and meet some new ones.

No comments: