It's go time. I've had the parts for the doug fir ribs sitting up in the shop gathering dust. Time to get to work. I pulled the pieces down and did some more lofting. Got the ribs shaped up and ready to go.
Time to make small panels long panels. I used 1/4 doug fir from Home Depot. I should probably paint the boat Home Depot orange, because they're my un-official sponsor. I picked up the Doug Fir for the ribs from Home Depot as well. It tool a lot of time milling the wood and accounting for splits, but it got done in the end. I used a 1:12 ratio for the scarf joint to join the panels. The design calls for 4' x 16' panels for the sides, that meant adding a little on to the end to account for the length lost in the scarf joint. It's getting real when you come home and your living room is a shop.
After cutting the side panels out of the long panel, I laid the pieces together to match them. It was some late night work and I had some neighbors asking what the hell, but I told them to have some faith. You're looking at the bow of the side panels.
Here's another key element, the bow post. Beautiful rolling bevel. The angle at the top is 47deg and 41deg at the bottom. How did I do this you ask, well I don't have time to spell it out here. The point of the rolling bevel is to accommodate the different angles of the side panels as they meet the bow of the boat. The angle at the bottom of the boat approaches the front at a different angle than the top of the boat near the rail. Make sense, good.
Tonight I spent some time turning more small pieces of wood into longer pieces of wood. But I don't have any pictures to prove it.




No comments:
Post a Comment