So early on I figured the name of the boat would be feminine, but I still was not sure what the name was going to be. I wanted to name it after streams and rivers of my childhood. One of my favorite places to go as a kid was Marijilda Canyon on Mount Graham. There were small pools and waterfalls further up the creek. It wasn't too long before I was curious where the name Marijilda came from. So I did a search and came up with this.
The WPA guide to Arizona. During the great depression, part of the "new deal", agencies were established to counter the great depression. One of the agencies created was the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Under the WPA the Fedaral Writers Project was created. Under the FWP came the "The American Guide Series Books" This book was a trevel guide inclueding descriptions and images of destinations along the way throughout America. It was in this Guide that I found the origin for the name of Marijilda.
In the guide one of the reason given for the series was to "Describe America to Americans". Fair enough. Anyway, this is the excerpt from the book.
I'm still trying to figure out who this woman was and why her name remained with the canyon. What did she do, how well was she known. I'm not sure that I'll have any success, but I'll see what I can do.
No comments:
Post a Comment