Friday, April 3, 2009

Beccabee's "Green" Program

I like to think that everybody can go "green" to some degree, in any number of ways. Here's what I have been doing lately with the baby. And you know what? It's been more fun ...AND... easier than I thought!

Reduce: As many of you know, we have chosen to use cloth diapers on our little one’s bum. As an update, we are almost 3 months out and going strong. It is much less challenging than I thought it would be. Laundry is of course a little more frequent (a small load almost daily). For us, we feel it is worth it. What little staining the detergent doesn’t get the bright Arizona sun handles for us. And it feels good to have only bought a couple of disposable diaper packages thus far. I fashioned some fitted, contour diapers out of the prefolds I already had; I love them. We also use cloth wipes with homemade solution of water, lavendar and tea tree oils.

Reuse: Bjorn has received about a bazillion great “hand-me-downs”. Given Bjorn’s growth rate and the fact he has on occasion wore an outfit twice before it was too small, I have decided second-hand clothing is the “green” way to go: more money saved and better for Mother Nature.
Recycle: I have a friend from grad school who has given me creative inspiration. Her and her friends make clothing from old shirts and linens. Initially, I must admit that having a boy put a damper on my sewing drive. Let’s face it, no matter what color or context, ribbon or flowery fabric (even black) cannot be used for boys. But I have been having a blast making these pants for him. I need to remember to get some solid colors next time.
Here you can see what I call "Bjorn’s preppy spring collection" as these were made from Ralph Lauren and Nautica shirts.





Looking ahead to summer days and Symphony in the Park, I have a causal, comfy pant. I will be leaving "Bjorn’s fall collection" to my sister Jessica; should be interesting as a majority of her recent creations have been costumes for her cirque performances.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Wow, Becca, you are doing great - I don't think I could do it. My sister did cloth diapers, but she gave up - they leaked everywhere. I missed tons of your cute posts. Bjorn is adorable. What fun you guys are having!