Thursday, August 20, 2009

BOW camp

Becoming Outdoor Women. I must say I had an awesome time. It was the longest I've been away from Bjorn (3 days) and took some prep (30 bags of frozen milk) but I had a blast. I've always wanted to go shooting and Fletcher would of course take me. But me being me, I don't like knowing so little about something so potentially hazardous in the wrong hands (AKA mine). Plus it was nice to get out of the heat and up to Prescott; I actually woke up chilly one morning! So why did I like it so much.


1) The instructors were awesome; so friendly and knowledgable and ready to help in any way.


2) Even with the wide variety of women (18-75 years of age, clunkers to Saabs, worn clothes to outdoor gear fresh off the rack), all the women were so friendly. If they came and were sitting with friends, they still talked to you. I normally have a hard time with large groups of women because they get so catty and cliquish but none of that here.


3) I got to shoot all kinds of firearms: .22 up to .44, revolvers, semi-automatics, rifles; it was great.


4) The food was fab! It takes place at a camp traditionally for kids so the tables and bathrooms left you feeling a bit like Alice now and then but it was worth it.




5) A skit night I actually enjoyed and laughed at.


6) All kinds of classes: wilderness medicine, dutch oven cooking, falconery, archery, shotgun, fishing, hiking, camping, GPS, mapreading, geocaching, rappeling, ropes course, game cooking and more.
I encourage any women I know reading this to go next year, held in August. There is something for everyone, no matter skill level or physical prowless.






No comments: