Saturday, August 1, 2009

Busy B's

Well, for some reason, I have to keep going. I always feel the need to do two things at once. Even when feeding the baby, I have the free hand doing something. It's not something to be envied as it drives me to exhaustion and tears on frequent occasions. But anywhoooo, the other day I decided I wanted to start remodeling the kitchen because it felt too closed in. We had recently built a huge pantry cabinet in the laundry room which resulted in some re-organization of the kitchen. I was thinking to myself if I could just get these pots out of here, I could have another whole section of counter free by moving all that stuff to where the pans were. We had decided to wait on work with the kitchen as we have ten thousand other projects going. But I found this awesome handmade in the US of A hanging pot rack online (I have been making an effort, usually paying more, to support local and US business) and just went for it. Fletcher came home and I had torn down the corner cabinet (it wasn't efficient anyways). Patched all the holes (as my tearing down skills leave some room for improvement). Made new wood shelves that will match what our entire kitchen will eventually look like and ....Whalla...a beautiful new corner of the kitchen. Now that's about 12% of the remodeled planned but hey, a little is better than nothing.















Here's an old pic (I was pregnant) of the corner, then after I torn down the cabinet, and after we installed all the new stuff. Much better.


So this morning I was sanding on the doors (for the forementioned pantry cabinet we recently constructed). Fletcher was off hiking in a preparation death march for his 6th time climbing Mt. Rainer, coming up in mid-August. I was working on the doors, while hanging laundry, starting the next load, straightening up the living room, changing Bjorn, removing dirt from his mouth that he had started eating while sitting and watching me hang laundry, and I thought to myself, "Fletcher is off doing something fun (well, maybe not "fun" but of his choosing) and I should too". I have been making baby pants from men's shirts. I have also been interested in making some stuffed toys for Bjorn and all the other babies in our lives right now. So I packed up Bjorn and headed off to the fabric store. I picked up this awesome magazine ( "Stuffed: a gathering of softies" ) which had 100 ideas for exactly what I had been wanting to do. We have a birthday party to go to later and so I whipped up this little cutie as a gift. What is best about this is that if you can cut out squares, rectangles and circles, sew in a straight line and stitch on some buttons, you are set. And the cutie w/ babe that I imitated below is actually made by a Tucson artists, isn't that awesome.





1 comment:

The Scott's said...

We wouldo like to tell you those softies are awesome!!!! Alyssa actually would like one!!! No joke she saw it and asked if she could have one!!! You are so awesome Becca!