Monday, July 20, 2020

Round Butt, Square Butt, if Only Plastic Surgery was This Easy, or Not, June 7, 2020

If you look close, you can see what the design for the stern will be. Rounded oh so perfectly.



I was talking with a fellow about how high the oarsmans footwell should be. He said "tall enough to store the beer". So I went with PBR.



I had a middle school shop teacher (McEwen). He was an interesting fellow. We would sit in shop using rasps and 30 grit sand paper to hack away at these stools. Mr McEwen gave very specific instructions. If he gave you direction, you better do it just so. Each step of the project he would give a specific  number of nails, or certain amount of glue. Every resource so precious. When it came time to put the seat on Mr. McEwen gave me 4 nails; no more, no less. In the process of pre-drilling the holes for the nails, I drilled five holes; the additional one in the center of the seat. It just felt right.....wrong. When I asked for nail number five, I was denied. When I asked if I could bring a nail from home, I was told that I would get an "F" on the project. So, I patched the fifth hole with glue and saw dust. I gave the chair to my dad where it served as a dinner chair for years. To this day the seat squeaks loose opposite the side without the fifth nail. I've left it as is; it's an interesting story.


No comments: