Monday, July 20, 2020

To Fiberglass or Not to Fiberglass, That is the Question, May 15-22, 2020

I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. What about this, what about that. Am I going to want to replace the bottom? When am I going to hit the first rock requiring a fix? All the ply-wood came from Home Depot, how much effort do I want to put into the bottom? Hmmmm, maybe I should see if I can get the bi-axial cloth in a reasonable time for the weekend.....done. I ended up glassing the bottom. I used 20 something oz bi-axial cloth and then some regular 10oz tooling cloth. Since it was more of a scuff guard and not totally structural, I chose to use polyester resin. Talk about nerve racking. To make it more nerve racking, I wetted out both the bi-axial and tool cloth at the same time. For that reason, I don't have any pictures until the next day. This is one of the few times I actually asked for help. Bec was so good, staying up all night sniffing fumes together. You know what they say, if it doesn't get you so high that you walk out into the street and get hit by a car, it will make you stronger.




And the primer goes on. I will not be painting the bottom. I might have a better chance at catching any rot or fiber separation.




Some more steambending to get that chine cap on.




And then flip her. This boat is distracting. Sometimes I stair at her to figure out what to do next, and sometimes, I stare because it looks interesting.



And now she is home and upright. Clamps and more clamps. At this point in the project, I am walking around the house to find out what those clamps have been doing all these years. Maybe holding up a sheet fort, or somewhere else after being dragged about like a toy.








No comments: