
Start off by cutting long pieces of wood and cutting scarf joints. Some joints are a ratio of about 1:8 and may be as much as 1:12. I think I used about a 1:8 ratio for most the chine and rails pieces.

Then you clamp them together. Some people use epoxy. If you do it's good to mix Cab-O-Sil into the epoxy to thicken it. It strengthens the joint. I also use this mix when glue-ing bow laminates together. For this boat and many other projects over the years, I have use Titebonde III wood glue. I've used the type III glue on kayak paddles, canoe paddles. I've steamed the joints and so on. After using it for enough years and having no issue with it, I decided to use it for gluing up the side panel, and floor scarf joints as well. It's been a great glue.

For this project, I did some test bends to see if steaming would be necessary to steam the chine-log. Steaming made everything go into place fairly easy.

Or, maybe this is what made the chine-log go in so easy. New York Sour, with a BFC, Big Fancy Cube. Mmmmm, look at the coloring.

She's coming together. There I go again, calling her a her. I wonder what it means, what's her name going to be?

Last post I was standing on the boat floor gluing the floor together. It's decision time, put the floor on in the front living room. Or, move the boat out while it's lighter and easier to squeeze out the front door?

Well, I'm glad we waited to get her outside. A look at the back side.

And the front.

A trick I learned from fretwaterlines.blogspot to get the glue on, but still have the bottom aligned.

No comments:
Post a Comment